problematic heaven
    Staff Member of the year 2010
    Network
    T-Mo, Fido

Sony Ericsson X10 (Rachael) Announced

Sony Ericsson unveils Xperia X10 Android phone
    November 3rd 2009
    Posted by: Jonathan Morris

Sony Ericsson has finally unveiled its first Android phone, the Xperia X10. Originally rumoured to be running Android 2.0, the device will actually ship with 1.6 - but a number of exclusive enhancements that form the basis of a future 'user experience' interface to be added to other models released in 2010.

The Xperia X10 will be released in Q1 of 2010 and further information on availability and pricing will be released later. Operators are not expected to see near-final versions for another couple of weeks.

Key statistics:

* 2G Quad-Band / 3G Dual-Band + HSPA
    * Wi-Fi + Stereo Bluetooth V2.1
    * Integrated GPS
    * 4-inch TFT capacitive touchscreen
    * 854x480 pixel resolution
    * 116x62x12mm dimensions
    * 8-megapixel autofocus camera + LED flash
    * VGA video recording
    * Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (1GHz)
    * microSDHC memory expansion (8GB bundled)
    * microUSB charging socket
    * 3.5mm headphone jack
    * Android OS 1.6
    * Timescape & Mediascape UI enhancements
    * Face detection for image tagging
    * Available in black or white colours
    * 1500mAh BST-41 battery

http://www.whatmobile.net/News/mobil...oid_phone.html

more links:

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-ericss...-demo-0262527/
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2921...ils-xperia-x10
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2921...son-xperia-x10
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/s...e-go-hands-on/
    http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/11...ed-to-symbian/
    http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/11...one-unleashed/
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...c=rss&attr=all
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...c=rss&attr=all

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 first look
    November 3rd 2009, 0400 GMT
    Posted by: Jonathan Morris

What Mobile was fortunate enough to be invited along to get a first look at the new Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android phone, ahead of the official announcement. Read on to get the full facts and a taste of what else is to come in 2010.

The launch of the Xperia X10 isn't, according to Sony Ericsson, simply the announcement that it’s releasing an Android device. Everyone has probably seen the spy shots and early specs, as well as concept videos showing off the new user experience. What Sony Ericsson didn't tell anyone was that this new experience reflects the future vision for the company – and the clever features shown on the flagship Xperia X10 will also appear on many more devices in 2010 and beyond.

The company also confirmed that it will be releasing fewer devices next year, and concentrating primarily on mid to high-end models - rather like the early days of Sony Ericsson when it was formed with handsets that included the T68i and the Symbian/UIQ smartphone, the P800i.

In fact, unless Sony Ericsson specifically receives a firm order from an operator to produce a batch of entry-level handsets, it seems unlikely they will even try to compete in that part of the market, preferring to allow other manufacturers to compete in a part of the market they have had little success in.

But, on to the X10 itself. Having seen lots of rumours out there, we’ve separated the facts from the fiction...

Rumoured: The X10 will have a 4.1-inch, OLED, capacitive touchscreen display.
    The truth: The X10 has a 4-inch, TFT, capacitive touchscreen display with a resolution of 854x480 pixels.

Rumoured: 1GHz Snapdragon processor.
    The truth: Yes, it will ship with a Snapdragon processor. The speed of the device is impressive, and it is essential for offering support for processor intensive tasks like rendering the animated UI and allowing the use of the face detection feature. Unfortunately, on the development model we saw, all of the Sony Ericsson developed features were slow and very laggy. It looks to be in need of a lot more work - but does prove thet fancy pre-rendered conceptual videos will soon make it into reality.

Rumoured: The X10 will be on sale in a matter of days or weeks.
    The truth: The phone is due for release in Q1 of 2010, and the sluggishness of many aspects of the phone means we’d expect it to be nearer the middle to end of Q1, although Sony Ericsson insisted it would not be a case of shipping it at 2359 on March 31st!

Rumoured: The X10 will be running Android OS 2.0
    The truth: This phone will ship with Android 1.6 and besides the Sony Ericsson UI enhancements, it’s a pretty standard offering with no support for multitouch, no enhancements to the web browser or other 2.0 features such as Bluetooth file transfer. Sony Ericsson didn’t confirm if it would be offering an upgrade path to Android 2.0 (and beyond), but it seems likely in view of what was said later regarding updates to Sony Ericsson devices in general.

Rumoured: 32GB of onboard storage.
    The truth: The phone will use memory cards, with an 8GB microSDHC card shipping with the device.

Rumoured: The X10 will have a completely unique user interface.
    The truth: This is mostly correct, with two key additions for handling contacts and multimedia - with a view to ‘humanising’ the user experience. Timescape and Mediascape are each integrated with the standard Android OS, rather like HTC’s Sense, to give a customised and unique user experience that makes it quick and easy to manage media, your contacts and social media that’s all integrated.

Rumoured: The phone will have integration with the Playstation 3 (like the Aino).
    The truth: Although it is feasible for such a feature to be made available via an application released in the future, the X10 has no native support for the service exclusively available on the current Aino (based on Sony Ericsson's A200 platform).

Other facts about the Xperia X10:

- It will use the same 1500mAh BST-41 battery as used on the Xperia X2 - actual battery life data was not confirmed
    - It has a 3.5mm headphone jack - but no integrated stand to sit the phone up for watching video (like the W995)
    - There’s no proprietary Sony Ericsson charging port; the X10 now uses the standardised microUSB connection hidden behind a cover - although on the prototype model this was removed. We’re not sure if it is designed to be removed, or was simply not present.

Another new feature is face detection for images. This isn’t the usual face detection for autofocus purposes or exposure adjustment (it has this too), but actual detection of people in photographs. Once a person is tagged, the phone will look for matches in your other photos. When everything is tagged, you can call people by selecting their face, and view pictures associated with the contact in your phonebook.

Other media, including Twitter tweets, Facebook status updates, texts, emails and so on will also be associated with each contact in your phonebook. At any time, you can communicate with a contact in a variety of different ways.

Meanwhile, the phone retains the standard Android notification bar and will run all Android applications designed to work on the higher resolution display - all accessible from the usual menu pulled up from the base of the screen.

On the back of the phone is the 8.1-megapixel autofocus camera already present on the C905, W995 and Aino/U10 - with an LED flash.

Sony Ericsson is planning to roll out the new user experience ('UX Platform') to future devices, including future Symbian devices. However, despite the recent release of the flagship Satio, this will not receive a retrospective update and will not feature any of the new features shown. Nor will the X10 have any branding onboard for the Walkman or Cyber-shot names. Sony Ericsson do, however, acknowledge that it is no longer just about making hardware and the company aims to be more focused on software in the future - providing more updates and support in the form of firmware updates and new applications.

The X10 will be available at launch in two colours; Luster White and Sensuous Black - pricing is yet to be confirmed.

http://www.whatmobile.net/Reviews/fi...irst_look.html

cheers!
    Last edited by difenbaker; 03-11-2009 at 04:38.
    ...function can't coffee without in the morning. =)

Trusted Member
    obsession destruction
    Phone
    iphone 5
    Network
    Bell Mobility
    thats pure awesomeness!

ps.. why only android 1.6? and @ around at march?? i thought it will be available around christmas.. noo! *wipedrool*

Android 1.6??? I thought it was Android 2.0?

Trusted Member
    The world is one click away
    Network
    T-MO
    ^ I think this explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by difenbaker View Post
    Rumoured: The X10 will be running Android OS 2.0
    The truth: This phone will ship with Android 1.6 and besides the Sony Ericsson UI enhancements, it’s a pretty standard offering with no support for multitouch, no enhancements to the web browser or other 2.0 features such as Bluetooth file transfer. Sony Ericsson didn’t confirm if it would be offering an upgrade path to Android 2.0 (and beyond), but it seems likely in view of what was said later regarding updates to Sony Ericsson devices in general.

Trusted Member
    obsession destruction
    Phone
    iphone 5
    Network
    Bell Mobility
    few demos video @engadget..

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/s...e-go-hands-on/

hmmmm..

problematic heaven
    Staff Member of the year 2010
    Network
    T-Mo, Fido
    ...function can't coffee without in the morning. =)

Phone
    P1i ,X10, Xperia S
    yeah its finally here! and it is actually goning to have a north american version supporting:

- GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
    - UMTS/HSPA 800/850/1900/2100

Phone
    Apple iphone 3GS White
    Network
    Vodafone
    im loving it....apples next iphone has to be pretty damn good to tempt me away from this beauty

btw...well done to SE. i think they've suprised alot of people...

it looks like a nice but big phone. too big to use comfortably with one hand.

"PS. It looks like it has two shortcoming from everything I've seen!
    1- No Multi Touch (At least not in the Browser)!! Very Very Bad with it's Capacitive 4" Screen!!
    2- It's running Android 1.6, I thought 2.0 was the latest & greatest (ala Moto Droid/Milestone)! "

Founder Member
    Make Believe

Phone
    Sony Xperia P Bordeaux Edition
    Network
    Base
    Brussels, Belgium - Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Beirut, Lebanon - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - Krakow & Zabrze, Poland
    This is so worth waiting for!

Phone
    Iphone 5 black
    Nice effort from SEMC.
    The best thing about this announcment is the show of comitment to the future, the brand and what they have to do to make some good stuff happening.
    Flipside of the coin, no Eclair (2.0) (moto have got an exclusive for now?) mediocre video rec (VGA), and no Amoled.
    Other than that, every rumor seems to be correct, 32 GB onboard, and it will ship with 8 GB mc, pretty impressive upgrade from the usual 8 GB cards SEMC devices usually comes with.
    It will be here February, if everything goes by the book, let's see what happens, and how they will price it.

Network
    BPL Mobile
    very nice.

android, 4 inch screen, 8mp, 3.5mm jack, no fastport, microSD's....SE seems to be listening.

only downside is no cover and flash to camera

the size of the phone is the price you have to pay for the size of the screen.

Phone
    Iphone 5 black
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAncientMariner View Post
    very nice.

android, 4 inch screen, 8mp, 3.5mm jack, no fastport, microSD's....SE seems to be listening.

only downside is no cover and flash to camera

the size of the phone is the price you have to pay for the size of the screen.
    Well, i think my Iphone is pretty big, this is pretty much the same size, only better/easier to hold imo, and the screen is 0.5" bigger.
    It does have a LED, as most devices, but surely a xenon would be better, but this is no a dedicated camera device, and that's why it doesn't have lens cover either, so i guess it's what to expect.

Phone
    n95 8gb
    the camera DOES have a flash... read the press release. and look at pics. you can clearly see a flash!

@ron
    only 1gb internal. plus 8gb micro sd in box!

Phone
    Iphone 5 black
    Quote Originally Posted by rend2688 View Post
    the camera DOES have a flash... read the press release. and look at pics. you can clearly see a flash!

@ron
    only 1gb internal. plus 8gb micro sd in box!
    Ops...

To early for me i think.

Here is a preview by GSMarena
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...review-412.php

Consigliere
    *Vulnerando Sanamus*
    Phone
    iPhone 5, BB 9780, E72 white, E51
    Network
    Vodafone
    Very nice effort, I really like the phone, hopefully they'll be able to upgrade to android 2.0 as well otherwise it will not be a big success at all.
    Mobile-Review

Avatar designed by BrightSpark enterprises

Retired Moderator
    like.no.other
    Phone
    iPhone 4, Bold 9780
    Excellent phone, however I'm not very fond of the design and I would LOVE it if it shipped with Android 2.0 right off the bat. But nonetheless, a GIANT step forward for Sony Ericsson

Founder Member
    Make Believe

Phone
    Sony Xperia P Bordeaux Edition
    Network
    Base
    Brussels, Belgium - Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Beirut, Lebanon - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - Krakow & Zabrze, Poland
    This is all inaccurate guessing about the storage I think...

Take a look:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile...-Xperia-X10/p1

Phone
    Iphone 5 black
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNGA View Post

Take a look:

Maybe it will ship with different memory inbuild, to different markets?

Phone
    P1i ,X10, Xperia S
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNGA View Post

Take a look:

". Storage comes courtesy of 16GB in-built plus a microSD expansion slot and - sensibly - a 3.5mm headphone jack."

it would be really odd if the eternal memory was 1 GB, i believe the 16 GB is correct.

Phone
    P1i
    That article is misleading in the '16GB inbuilt,..'

Phone
    Optimus Black
    Network
    smart
    I can live with Android 1.6 as long as 2.0 update is comming.
    But it seems SE not proud to mention anything good about the videorecording

Phone
    Iphone 5 black
    Official specs, looks like it's 1GB memory onboard, strange?
    The price, looks like it's about how the X1 was when it was released.

Sony Ericsson XPERIA™ X10 introduces an open and integrated world of social media, communication and entertainment

XPERIA™ X10 is the flagship phone in a family of phones coming to market during the first half of 2010. The XPERIA™ X10 will be available in Q1 2010
    New UX (user experience) platform lets consumers organise everything and discover more with the most open, human and intuitive user experience yet
    London – November 3 2009 – Sony Ericsson today unveils the XPERIA™ X10, the first phone in a family of phones to deliver a consistent user experience where communication truly becomes entertainment. Building on Sony Ericsson’s entertainment heritage and combining rich graphics with intelligence capabilities, the XPERIA™ X10 introduces a new UX platform that will evolve across the product portfolio and expand over time continuously introducing new features and capabilities.

The UX platform builds on top of the Open OS and creates a unique Sony Ericsson user experience by combining best-in-class entertainment features with signature applications, unrivalled integration of social media services and a rich graphical user interface. The XPERIA™ X10 is the first mobile phone to truly humanise the way people interact with their phones.

Bert Nordberg, President, Sony Ericsson said, “The XPERIA™ X10 and the family of phones launching in the first half of 2010 underpin our commitment to an open and multi-platform strategy that maximises choice for the consumer and delivers the best possible consumer experience. The reaction from our global operator partners to the XPERIA X10 has been extremely positive and we will be rolling out across the world including Japan from the first half of 2010.”

Rikko Sakaguchi, EVP and Chief Creation Officer, Sony Ericsson said, “The XPERIA™ X10 is a fantastic example of our make.believe philosophy because we are pushing the boundaries of what is possible and demonstrating that anything consumers can imagine, we can make possible. With the X10, we are raising the bar we have set ourselves with entertainment-rich phones like Aino and Satio by making communication more fun and playful, multiplying and enriching opportunities to connect.”

Introducing signature applications like Mediascape and Timescape™, the XPERIA™ X10 lets consumers organise everything in their phone in an intuitive way:

Sony Ericsson Timescape™ manages all your communication with one person in one place. Browse through your conversations the bright way to check out your Facebook™, Twitter™, photos, emails, and texts all in one go
    Sony Ericsson Mediascape is the smart way to get all the music, photos and videos you want from your favourite friends and artists. It accesses content from everywhere – your phone, YouTube™, PlayNow™ – and presents everything for you
    Intelligence capabilities, integrated into Mediascape and Timescape™, can automatically recognise connections between contacts, content and media. By recommending alternative ways to communicate or guiding to new media experiences, consumers can discover more in a truly open way. For example:

Pressing the new “infinite button” guides you through the connected world, aggregating all your interactions with one person into one view
    Intelligent face recognition features recognise up to five faces in any picture, automatically connecting them with your social phonebook and all other related communications with that person.
    Sony Ericsson’s open approach gives consumers maximum choice and with the XPERIA™ X10, users can download any application that they want direct from a wide variety of stores including PlayNow™ and the Android Market™, co-creating an experience that is entirely unique to them.

Sony Ericsson is also introducing the new Wireless Stereo Headset with FM Radio - WM600. Featuring advanced Bluetooth™ technology and a built-in FM radio, WM600 lets you stream music to your headset in high fidelity through sound-enhancing ear-buds. With a crystal clear OLED display, easy access controls and RDS radio station information, you don’t even need to take your phone with you to tune in to your favourite radio station.

The XPERIA™ X10 supports GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS HSPA 900/1700/2100 and UMTS HSPA 800/850/1900/2100

The XPERIA™ X10 will be available in selected markets from Q1 in the colours Sensuous Black and Luster White.

Log on to The Sony Ericsson Product Blog for more information: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products

The Sony Ericsson XPERIA™ X10 at a glance

Camera

8.1 megapixel camera
    Up to 16x digital zoom
    Auto focus
    Intelligent face recognition features
    Geo tagging
    Image and video stabilizer
    Photo and video light
    Send to web (photo and video upload)
    Smile detection
    Touch focus