HTC Touch 3G - Weird wifi problem
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HTC Touch 3G - Weird wifi problem

Unhappy HTC Touch 3G - Weird wifi problem

Hey all,

Long time no post ;-)
    I have a bit of a weird problem with my Touch 3G

Basically i have the feeling that sometimes my HTC touch 3g doesn't realize that a wifi connection to which it is connected is available.
    My settings, which will be posted below work fine, seeing as most of the time i can use wifi.
    It's not the router since it happens everywhere.
    I surfed from my home yesterday, and this morning i'm trying again, and it doesn't work.

I am connected to the network, with the best performance option.
    I get the IP, everything alright.
    It's not a DNS problem, since i can't even surf to my router (192.168 .. )
    None of the application can get online.

So practically, what i did now, with the settings below :

- open communication manager
    - enable wifi
    - get connected flawlessly to my network (with WPA2 key)
    - checked the details (= got my IP, good tx,rx rate, using best performance)
    - open any program ==> time out
    -

tried :
    - removing all settings from my connection
    - enable wifi
    - he suggests my home network
    - run trough the config steps with the wifi key etc (make sure to tag "connection to THE INTERNET" option)
    - get connected again, but time out.

My settings are as followed :

- "programs that automatically connect to the internet should use : 3G" -- This is my HSDPA connection and work fine, not to mention i disabled in all programs that they should connect automatically. This is not related
    -
    - in Wifi == My network card connects to "The Internet"
    - in the wifi profiile it also says that it connects to "The internet"
    - option Best performance is used.
    - tried RESET , tried REBOOT , tried reconfiguring the wifi profile, tried windows update ...

----

Again, these settings have been in there since i got it (2 weeks).
    They work most of the time (65 % ) on my router at home and at work.
    Again, connection is made perfectly.

I just have the feeling WM doesn't realize he's connected.
    I'm starting to think the device is faulty, it's not normal.

Does anybody have an idea ?

I was having similar trouble with the wifi. If anyone knows how to fix it, that would be great.

levlandau, forget it.
    nobody has a "solution" for it ..

It still happens sometimes on my phone, but it seems to have more shifted towards the mailbox.
    Where browsing would work, it would just time out when connecting to the mailbox.

Just reconnect or even reboot the phone.
    it works most of the time then

maybe there will be a windows mobile update which addresses this one day

Phone
    HTC Touch 3G

Very similar problem.

I'm having similar problems with wifi using the 'unique manager' software on the orange branded handset. I can connect after lots of trouble with finding networks. Usually freezes on finding available networks I reboot and it finds networks I can connect to networks not requiring username and passwords. I've played around with the settings and have to each time I connect including saved networks before being able to perform a send and receive.

I have to make sure 'This network connects to the internet' is ticked in saved network settings as well as in connections selecting My Work Network, as the default connection for programs connecting to the internet. Playing around with those each and every time I connect seems to work. VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!

HTC have released a ROM update available on their on their UK website but to download it requires a serial number and when I enter mine it says this is not appropriate for my phone.

Hope this helps, I will post anything else I find that works for me.

If anyone has a way of getting rid of this stupid software so I can use the ordinary Wifi manager etc... please add!

Maybe your problem is that everything is set to "my work connection".
    most programs default on "the internet".
    maybe you could try and remove all those connections except "the internet", and configure that one.

you could always just format and re-install windows mobile, and add touch flo later.
    but i'm not sure if that is available just like that

Phone
    HTC Touch 3G
    The only connection it has with the interenet is Orange Internet which only uses a Data connection and will not use a wifi connection.
    It doesn't let me remove any settings except any which I add. I can't format and reinstall without the orange customisation kicking in. There is no way around it. Does yours have ordinary wifi or unique manager?

i don't quite get what you ask.
    it uses the htc flo interface.. i just slide to the right on the main screen , to settings-communication.
    but we can access the underlying windows settings.

try the following
    start-settings-connections-wifi

scan and select networks there.
    press and hold to select "connect"

make sure that in the network adapters tab you set "my network card connects to "the internet""

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by pooresche View Post
    The only connection it has with the interenet is Orange Internet which only uses a Data connection and will not use a wifi connection.
    It doesn't let me remove any settings except any which I add. I can't format and reinstall without the orange customisation kicking in. There is no way around it. Does yours have ordinary wifi or unique manager?
    I also have an 'orange' touch 3G and have the same problems. However I can connect with >95% reliability if I:
    1. switch off the gsm data connection- (settings/connections/connections/advanced/select networks- set to a blank profile eg 'my isp' - this just stops it connecting to 'orange internet' via gprs/3G if the wifi network fails)
    2. Set to 'work' the settings/unique manager/advanced/networkadapter- 'work/internet' connection
    3. Connect to the network (wifi information)
    4. Swith settings/unique manager/advanced/network adapter/ to 'internet'

I think it's a bug with the Orange Unique software. It seems like once connected with the 'work' profile and then switched to the 'the internet' profile everything is ok. A total pain though- but at least it doesn't involve a phone softreset.

If anyone knows a better work around I'd love to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    I also have an 'orange' touch 3G and have the same problems. However I can connect with >95% reliability if I:
    1. switch off the gsm data connection- (settings/connections/connections/advanced/select networks- set to a blank profile eg 'my isp' - this just stops it connecting to 'orange internet' via gprs/3G if the wifi network fails)
    2. Set to 'work' the settings/unique manager/advanced/networkadapter- 'work/internet' connection
    3. Connect to the network (wifi information)
    4. Swith settings/unique manager/advanced/network adapter/ to 'internet'

I think it's a bug with the Orange Unique software. It seems like once connected with the 'work' profile and then switched to the 'the internet' profile everything is ok. A total pain though- but at least it doesn't involve a phone softreset.

If anyone knows a better work around I'd love to hear it!

I've contacted both Orange and HTC.
    The first guy from Orange had a touch HD without the Unqiue setting and was able to disable the celluar phone, and use WiFi. The Touch 3G wouldn't let me do this. I used 14MB yesterday whilst connected to WiFi (but was actually connecting each time to 3G).

A Lady at HTC - showed me how to create a fake connection, but then despite being connected to my WiFi - IE pages wouldn't load.

Orange have completely broken the WiFi usage - and missing the point of a having WiFi enabled phone.(using your own broadband connection!) In fact the next chap at orange who spoke to me said I was only allowed 215 mins of WiFi????!!! what!!! He tried to imply that I would be charged for use of my own WiFi (which is absurd!!!).

I explained to him that each time I connect to the browser the 3G Connection fires up and I'm being charged stealthly under the hood.

If you are an Orange User - DO NOT upgrade to this phone. It's a great phone - but Orange have ruined it with their Unique(ly) bad Manager.
    I used to use a E650 (and all other SPV's no problems).

After the Customer services (2nd Guy)... bye bye Orange....

What you guys could do is just freaking flash the thing.

HTC made it easy.
    The released a new ROM , which includes the HTC touch FLO.

Download it form there main site , here

* Please note that this upgrade will erase any data stored on the device. Once you proceed with the upgrade, the system can not be downgraded again.

I just picked up my Touch 3G phone from Orange today and have found the same problem as everyone else. I have rung their technical line and have been told that there is no way to make the 3G use the Wi-Fi connection for internet access. The phone will be going back tomorrow!.

I was told that I could go to the HTC website and upgrade the ROM and that would not invalidate the warranty but - gosh - what a surprise - the serial number on the phone indicates that it cannot be upgraded/updated.

Having already used a touch P3450 for a year and a bit, this seems like a retrograde step by orange, and a shame to ruin what is otherwise a pretty good phone.

Time to get my complaining head on and get a touch HD out of them!

Are orange the only company to have messed up this phone or are others following in their misguided footsteps?

Regards

John

Quote Originally Posted by john coyne View Post
    I just picked up my Touch 3G phone from Orange today and have found the same problem as everyone else. I have rung their technical line and have been told that there is no way to make the 3G use the Wi-Fi connection for internet access. The phone will be going back tomorrow!.

Are orange the only company to have messed up this phone or are others following in their misguided footsteps?
    I am in the same boat, got it a few days ago and experienced the same.

With the phone also came a leaflet called
    "enjoy improved coverage at home with your Unique phone"
    and inside it there is a note which says:

Quote Originally Posted by Orange leaflet
    "When you browse the internet on your phone, your service plan data charges will apply, even if you are connected using the Unique service. Unique is designed to boost your mobile call coverage and wont connect you to the internet through your home broadband"
    It sounds to me they had issues just before the release of the software and then had to put this in the leaflet. Not exactly a star move by Orange.

Unbelieveable that they have in effect disabled the WIFI functionality from Windows Mobile.

Preceeding this I also had trouble finding the MAC address of the phone since I needed this to add it to my router to allow it access. The HTC Touch 3G has several options and shortcuts disabled where you would normally get this information from. I finally found it deep inside their "Unique" software but first when you setup your router settings can you see the routers mac address AS WELL AS the phone's mac address.

I wouldnt mind so much if their internet add-on bundle for 5 extra per month was a decent offer but it is limited to 500MB per month and ONLY during evenings and at weekends. Not even a reasonable workaround in this situation.

After 10 years with Orange its time to say goodbye when the "great customer service" has long gone and been replaced by clueless volume based front-line staff.

Yes I'm jumping for joy with the solution to this problem posted by Egghead... I owe you a beer, or wine or whatever.

After much discussion with Orange in various disguises and two brand new phones Eggheads solution posted 12/05/09 to stop connecting via 3g when a valid wifi is available works a treat. No doubt I'll curse when I then have to reset the phone to connect via 3g but I doubt if I'll be doing that in a hurry.

MANY THANKS!!!!

i cann't update windows for my htc touch 3g

i will give you all the software for free to debrand you phones onless you want o have you orange soft ware here is the link ""www, mediafire,com/download,php?njyzllmlzmw "" it has full "how to" but you will need a winzipto unpack

i had to take out the ..... becouse it wont let me put links in my mesages

1. hard-spl this makes it so you can put any rom on your phone take 3 to 4 mins ((you must have your antivirus turned oof and if runing vista run as admin)))

2. click the english rom follow what is says on the screen takes about 10 mins

3. debranded phone

easy as that mine was only 3 days old when i done this

My solution

Hi

I knoticed everyone having trouble with the wifi using 3g bandwith when trying to find a solution to my rom update issue.
    Basically what i did to overcome this was to place *.* in the intranet exceptions list for the orange connection this basically prevents the auto connect coming up when im using wireless.

hope it helps, Chris

For using the wifi with HTC TOUCH 3G branded Orange :
    I haven't upgraded the firmware and it finnaly work for me , my mobile was bought in april 09 , ROM : 02/24/09
    In the unik icon :
    1. activate unik connection (it's activate also the wifi)
    2. search for available network
    3. enter the key wep ... wpa of ours
    In the connection icon then advanced setting :
    1. only one connection "can access to internet" in the field proxy (never mind it is not proxy seting, it is there ...)
    -> for me it didn't work so the next step make it works :
    Back to unik icon :
    parameter> advanced> my card> then choose "internet" instead of "my desktop"

has anyone used brookse method yet ?.

banned

wifi problem with touch

Same hear I had also the same problem with my sisters Phone and finally she change her connection and get Vodafone pay as you go for her touch. I think she don't get any reliable solution for it, if she had joined here before than I am sure she had never need to change her connection. lolzzz

+ Reply to Thread