Iphone: What is GPRS?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iphone: What is GPRS?

Iphone: What is GPRS?

Hi,

I was just wondering what GPRS is? Especially when it comes to using Iphone. Iphone basically connects with WIFI first, if that's not available it goes to 3G then Edge and the GPRS? Do we pay for GPRS and is it something different from Edge?

If I see the small 'o' for GPRS and I try running the browser or any other service, it says not connected to internet. Is that good enough to know that GPRS is not working? I don't want mega charges on my plan for using the GPRS without knowing.

I made sure 3G and Edge are already off, but I'm a bit concerned about GPRS. Please help.

Administrator
    Phone
    Xperia Z
    Network
    T-Mobile
    GPRS is just a slower data connection, it's treated the same as EDGE and 3G.
    >*<<*<*

problematic heaven
    Staff Member of the year 2010
    Network
    T-Mo, Fido
    Quote Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
    Hi,

I was just wondering what GPRS is? Especially when it comes to using Iphone. Iphone basically connects with WIFI first, if that's not available it goes to 3G then Edge and the GPRS? Do we pay for GPRS and is it something different from Edge?
    GPRS stands for general packet radio service:
    http://mobileoffice.about.com/cs/connections/f/gprs.htm
    EDGE stands for enhanced data rates for GSM Evolution
    http://www.mobileisgood.com/WhatIsEDGE.php

gprs is the service that your phone uses to connect to the net, retrieve email, retrieve MMS, etc... edge is an "add on" to gprs, it's faster than gprs but slower than 3G or wifi.

gprs is a network service... so chances are, it's not free. (dpends on the network/carrier). It could be free - or taken as part of a phone plan or data package/service. If you're on an unlimited data plan - you dont pay for it.

If I see the small 'o' for GPRS and I try running the browser or any other service, it says not connected to internet. Is that good enough to know that GPRS is not working? I don't want mega charges on my plan for using the GPRS without knowing.

I made sure 3G and Edge are already off, but I'm a bit concerned about GPRS. Please help.
    the iPhone has "push" email... so it connects to the net automatically. There's a hack you can do to turn this off, but I aint familiar as to how it's done. (another person might know).

cheers!
    ...function can't coffee without in the morning. =)

Phone
    iPhone
    to turn off push (no hack required):

settings\fetch new data\manually.

if you get the o appearing, it means it is trying to connect to GPRS. the fact that it won't load anything means that you shouldn't be charged. GPRS is one of those 'always on' connections and every network over here charges you for the amount of data you use, not for the length of time it is on.

as yours is not working, have a look on your phone network's website and find the gprs settings. make sure they are the same as the one in:

settings\general\network\cellular data network.

hope that helps.

I can't find the GPRS Settings anywhere...

Also, In case Edge, GPRS or 3G is working, ALL of them should show some usage under Cellular Network Data? Correct?

(Settings/General/Usage/Cellular Network Data - Which shows sent and recieved)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Phone
    iPhone
    yes, the usage should show the amount of data sent/received through everything except wifi. is that what you are asking?

when you say that you can't find the GPRS settings, do you mean on the iphone or on your network's website? Because if you call up your network's customer service i'm sure they can provide them. but if you mean on the iphone, then the path i already described above IS the GPRS settings even though it's not called 'GPRS settings'. the APN is a web portal (in my case, 'payandgo.o2.co.uk'), the username and password are hopefully pretty self-explanatory.

+ Reply to Thread