Nokia 6500 slide/classic software/hardware problems and issues thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia 6500 slide/classic software/hardware problems and issues thread

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView

Exclamation Nokia 6500 slide/classic software/hardware problems and issues thread

As both 6500 slide and classic are already out, here we should discuss sofware/hardware problems they have. Let's get started with:

1. 6500 s/c being unable to connect via PC Suite: we are all aware of this problem, this is due to PC Suite 6.84 version, hope Nokia will release new Suite very soon.

2. Some of the users reported problems with PROFILES (Silent one in particular), not making incomming mesages "silent". Can you confirm this?

3. 6500 SLIDE: some users have reported keypad being scratched (vertical lines) due to slide action. Can you confirm this? Is this hardware/construction issue/flaw or an isolated case (bad luck ).

Please continue to post your problems/issues.

BR

Miki

Phone
    Nokia 6700 classic
    Network
    O2
    The only problem I have found with my 6500c is connectivity via PC Suite.

As with all new Nokia phones, so people think the volume is too low, this will be addressed with an upcoming firmware update (the same issue was reported on lots of handsets, including the 6233 & 6300). Personally, I think it's fine as it is.

I am very surprised with the stability of the 6500c firmware (v3.21). I had all sorts of problems with my 6233 and a few issues with my 6300 but none whatsoever with my 6500c. I'm very pleased

Phone
    Nokia 6500 Slide
    Network
    O2
    I have never tried using PC Suite yet. Only used the data cable for data storage.

So, the only one of those I have experienced in my 6500s is number 2. But it is infrequent and is resolved by restarting the phone.

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    here is another round of issues:

You can only change the colors of the standby fonts, but not the left, middle and right selection keys at the bottom of the screen. (If you are using a dark color theme and a light color wallpaper, you will not be able to see the left, middle and right selection keys)
    Can somebody please check this nonsence?

The scrolling of function is ONLY from top to bottom, n bottom to top. U can't scroll down to get to the top again. U've to slowly scroll all the way up. Unlike searching for names in the phone book.
    I am not sure what this is reffered to

i encountered this problem too... it happens when the phone is in standby mode for some time and I open the slider... the phone unlock but stop responding to keypress i discovered that, we gonna wait for the "unlock" message to dissappear then press the dpad or surround buttons... seems like this phone tends to be a bit retarded upon "waking up"
    ??

I think the latter is about not being in all menus scroll down and get eventually back to the first option/top of the list (i.e. have a kind of constinuous circular/loop menu). That's a S40 limitation I guess, not an "issue" of the 6500 per se.

Phone
    Nokia 6500 Slide
    Network
    O2
    You can only change the colors of the standby fonts, but not the left, middle and right selection keys at the bottom of the screen. (If you are using a dark color theme and a light color wallpaper, you will not be able to see the left, middle and right selection keys)
    Yes this appears to be the case.

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunMick
    this was not the case with 6280/6233/6300. If you change screen font color then everything is changed (date, operator name, softkeys..), is this a software glitch or "feature" of S40 V5?

I have read somewhere lot of people complaining of freezing problems,it happened to you too?
    For the Slide version

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Another problem reported with 6500 Slide:
    Whenever I get a miss-call with the balance instantly showing after the miss-call and I press a button instantly trying to unlock while my 6500 is in the process of showing my balance along with that 2 tone message sound, the 6500 Slide FREEZES! Any button I press afterwards, I get absolutley no response, and I have to resort in opening the back cover and remove and re-insert the battery to switch my phone off and on again. This is the only problem I had with this phone so far and it keeps happening whenever I miss a call while my phone is keypad locked and then I press any button while my phone is making that 2 tone message sound and showing my balance at the same time. So it seems that the nokia 6500 slide doesn't like this multiple process. Also at times whenever I restart my phone (after removing battery), I try to access my contacts list and it won't let me, so I had to resort to even select 'Reset to Factory Settings' to view my saved contacts again! All this should not be happening!

Phone
    Qtek S200; 8600; 6233; 6310i
    Network
    Proximus
    I just received mine : a 6500 slide and have ahd it now for 10 minutes and it is already back in the box

Problem 1 : the favorites button does not react as it should

Problem 2 : It restarted one time during the first 5min of operation

Problem 3 : when i close the slider it does not lock the keypad

I ask everyone that ownes a 6500 slider this question :

Does your 6500 lock the keypad when u close it ?

I can only lock it manualy or auto lock ( after a set time ) or lock it manualy and need to enter a security code to unlock it

P.S. prob 1 + 3 realy piss me off

Network
    Vodafone
    I purchased the Nokia 6500 slide on Thursday afternoon (it is no Sunday morning), and in the process had to change networks. I've had nothing but trouble!

1. Memory card isn't always recognized - switched on and off half a dozen times with no luck

2. When the memory card IS recognized and I set my profile to pick up a song from the card to use as a ringing tone, it automatically switches back to the "nokia" tone almost immediately after I've pressed save. I have found that it just seems to have bad memory card issues because if I move the songs onto the phone memory and set them as my ringing tones in my profiles, it works okay.

3. I get sporadic weird "failed to register sim card" issues, even though the sim card works just fine in my Nokia 6131.

4. The interface hangs. A lot. I had the following this morning:
    - Phone wouldn't unlock - had to remove the battery to restart;
    - after I switched it back on, the interface still hung, again, battery removal;

5. Sometimes, it randomly decides i have no network coverage and that I'm not even on the network despite the fact that 3 seconds prior (in exactly the same spot) it had full coverage.

On paper, I love this phone, but all of the above renders it worthless. I've taken it back to the store I purchased it from and the guy was nice and opened another box for me and we played around with the phone with exactly the same results.

I'm really baffled about something: supposedly all the networks test the phones and update them with their firmware and all of that jazz before they release the phones to the public. HOW is it possible that they miss something as CLEAR as the memory card issue (because that happened literally on the first night I had it). They claim to have rigorous testing but it is surely not showing up here!

I really hope that they're not all like this (the guy is going to try to get me one from a different batch!)

Phone
    Nokia 6500 Slide
    Network
    O2
    Sounds like you have been very unlucky with yours.

Either that or I have been very lucky. Only problems I have had are minor and I'm sure will be sorted by a firmware update. Whenever that may be.

Changing font colors

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunMick View Post
    Actually you can change everything about the font, display, color, calendar, multiple wallpapers ....in Nokia S40 phone using Nokia free S40 theme editor 2.2
    You can download it from Nokia Website (developpers content)
    Easy and fun to use.

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    here is a pic I have found with scratched keypad (check the vertical line in the middle row).
    Attached Images

Network
    vodafone
    You know I do believe i know the reason for the scratched keypad phenomenon, or I could just be talking out of my hole.

I think the reason this is happening is because there is minimal clearance between the top slide and the keypad and when people slide the phone they might be exerting too much pressure in the middle of the slide and creating contact between the top of the slide and the keypad in the middle.

I think maybe people should either use less pressure or slide it from the bottom.
    What do you guys think?

well, theorically you could be right, but my small thumb is too big, and to slide the phone up, I usually put my thumb on the screen and push it, therefore there is no pressure in the middle. There is no possible way to push the slider up and putting pressure in the middle, because your thumb would just be pressing on the navi key.

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball123
    well, theorically you could be right, but my small thumb is too big, and to slide the phone up, I usually put my thumb on the screen and push it, therefore there is no pressure in the middle. There is no possible way to push the slider up and putting pressure in the middle, because your thumb would just be pressing on the navi key.
    I guess the easiest and safest way to open phone would be to rest your thumb on top part of the screen where the pressure impact is miminal. If you rest your thumb on rubber strap below screen (as designers "proposed") this would cause much stronger impact (pressure) on sliding mechanism (you will hear also the difference in "click" sound). It shouldn't be like this, however it seems this is the case.

BR
    Miki

Phone
    Samsung i8510
    Network
    Yep I had the same problems with the memory card and also the freezing problems. Thankfully Carphonewarehouse changed the phone and the new one works just fine. ]

Phone
    Network
    Proximus
    I have another prolem with mine :

I bought a 4Gig MicroSDHC card but the phone does not recognise it

Even on the Nokia website it is mentioned the phone is capable of adding a 4 gig card

Even with my 1Gig card i have some issues : Sometimes when i want to take a picture it switches the setting to store it in the phone's memory instead of my memory card.

I gues most of this will be solved with a simple software update. Is it available yet ?

It's very weird but no trace of 6500 slide in any nokia support site!
    Do you all have the problem of synchronisation between opening the slider and beginning to answer? If yes what the hell is nokia waiting for doing an upgrade??

Phone
    Network
    Proximus
    Yes i also have the delay when opening / receiving call

I started to use the green button to answer to avoid this problem

I am also wondering out loud what is keeping the sofware update !

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedeske
    It's very weird but no trace of 6500 slide in any nokia support site!
    Nokia is waiting to publish new version of PC Suite 6.85 and then start shipping 6500s/c with this updated suite. It also might happen (but these are just my thoughts, but it would be nice) that they will update software on 6500 as well due to common problems discussed here.

BR
    Miki

So in another word: it's not the proper time to buy it

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetaleb
    So in another word: it's not the proper time to buy it
    my guess is that Nokia do have some major issues with this phone (especially 6500 slide) and that is the reason why they have "removed" this phone from many official Nokia websites. That's why simple software upgrade can not fix whole bunch of problems, as I am pretty much sure there are some hardware issue as well. Of course, not all 6500s owners will experience all problems, but in general, Nokia will have enough time to sort problems out, while we all wait for PC Suite 6.85, which gives Nokia oportunity to quietely and without a lot of fuzz do what needs to be done. I expect shipments of "new and upgraded" 6500s within few weeks.

ps. this approach is due to my opinion far better then keep selling 6280 those days and having "deny deny deny" strategy resulting in whole buch of problems discussed at this forum, and furthermore many european mobile operators ceised having 6280 in their offers due to high return ratio.

BR
    Miki

geez I will have to wait 1 more month and perhaps choose another phone,I am so bored of my K800

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetaleb
    geez I will have to wait 1 more month and perhaps choose another phone,I am so bored of my K800
    you know the song "Only fools rush in"? . I was the "fool" and rush in 6280, and then my phone has spent more time with Nokia Service than with me. I was affraid every time I need to trasfer something to phone, or when changing themes - will it survive or die. So believe me, its much better to wait few weeks though I am also very anxious getting this phone

BR
    Miki

Phone
    Nokia 6500slide
    I'm not sure about that Nokia removed it because of problems... Here in Sweden the phone was in stock amongst the first countries of all.. and it's still shipping and on the nokia official page...

Phone
    Network
    Proximus
    In my honest opinion they have not removed it from websites due to problems

They just can not keep up with the demand ( maybe this is just a strategy , it is always good busines to keep people waiting )

I am pretty sure they rushed the first software version of the 6500s and will make sure almost every problem is solved in the newer sw version.

If it is all due to hardware problems we should all sew Nokia and demand a new one and a small bonus for everything we went through ( e.g. a new 8800 arte could do the trick )

If i look back to the first 6233's they were all crap , but as soon as the new software ws available it was a real gem

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    If I am correct Nokia has announced 6500 series somewhat in May, still phone is not "fully available" at the markets. 8800 Arte was annonced last week yet being available before Christmas (as Nokia already prepared stocks). Same goes for Nokia N82. So, how come Nokia couldn't anticipate demand for their "latest and greatest" non-smartphone. This is not Nokia style. I agree creating demand is important but I also believe they have had enough time since May to do so. Also, I think they haven't dedicated enough time to software/latest platform issues as they were preocupied with other projects (abovementioned Arte and N82) as how can one explain 6500 being unable to connect with current PC Suite? That is why I think they have withdraw 6500 series for update/upgrade to avoid another public "humiliation".

Soon after PC Suite 6.85 is out, we'll see 6500 series being suddenly available probably with updated software version.

ps. I support idea of giving Arte with 6500 series as "excuse me" policy
    BR
    Miki

Phone
    Optimus Black
    I'm not afraid of software problems they will be fixed with new firmwares..but the scratched keypad..that's a real problem. Now I'm afraid to buy it and I already sold my K810i just to buy the slide..damn!

I am gonna buy the SE W910 if nokia is not fixing it the coming 2 weeks

The 6500 Slide is now availbale in France so it's a good sign but still nothing in the support website

Phone
    6500 Slide
    its officially released in belgium as well, just bought one, but it's charging ATM

Phone
    Optimus Black
    I work as a gsm dealer for an operator and a played with the slider and the slide mechanism scratched the keypad for sure..just like in the picture posted here. Can u imagine how the keypad will look after 1 or 2 month? Now I don't know what phone to buy K850i.. I hate u Nokia for making such a big mistake!

Phone
    N97 Mini E75 E71 N95 Luna Zn5
    Network
    AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo666 View Post
    You know I do believe i know the reason for the scratched keypad phenomenon, or I could just be talking out of my hole.

I think the reason this is happening is because there is minimal clearance between the top slide and the keypad and when people slide the phone they might be exerting too much pressure in the middle of the slide and creating contact between the top of the slide and the keypad in the middle.

I think maybe people should either use less pressure or slide it from the bottom.
    What do you guys think?
    I think you are 100% correct. Nokia didn't create enough clearance between the 2 sliding parts, & pushing on the slide while sliding it up is causing it to scratch the keypad.

I figured this out quickly....I now just gently open it with my thumb, or slide it from the bottom.

Retired Moderator
    like.no.other
    Phone
    iPhone 4, Bold 9780
    Just use the rubber part between the Nokia logo and the display, that's what it's there for

Phone
    Network
    AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim View Post
    Just use the rubber part between the Nokia logo and the display, that's what it's there for
    Unfortunately I think that is still too much pressure exerted on the keypad, & scratching is inevitable.

Retired Moderator
    like.no.other
    Phone
    iPhone 4, Bold 9780
    If you are that worried, just slide it using the screen, you'll probably avoid all possible friction with the slide. However I don't recall that problem, I've only seen one or two cases, and both were from owners who take poor care of their phones. I think we'll be fine, mine is still perfect, and hey, even if it does get scratched, just get the keypad changed. They cost like 10 bucks

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim
    If you are that worried, just slide it using the screen, you'll probably avoid all possible friction with the slide. However I don't recall that problem, I've only seen one or two cases, and both were from owners who take poor care of their phones. I think we'll be fine, mine is still perfect, and hey, even if it does get scratched, just get the keypad changed. They cost like 10 bucks
    Why would anyone accept having additional costs for manufacturer's mistake? Maybe Nokia should put additional keypad in sales package

BR
    Miki

Phone
    Network
    AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim View Post

Karim...

Have you already seen aftermarket keypads for the Slide? What about battery covers as well?

One more thing....you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Nokia, so I was wondering if Nokia ever resolves issues with handsets, be it software or build, by reading mobile forums, contacting owners of their products, or when a phone comes in for warranty repair.

Would Nokia cover a scratched keypad under warranty, or would it be deemed just normal wear & tear?

I take immaculate care of my phones, especially considering I paid close to $600.00 for the Slide when it first came out, so any scratches really bugs me.

hey Karim what's the best deal for 6500s in Lebanon?
    I found it at 460$ but I feel anno it's expensive
    Anyway Nokia is not testing well it's models before releasing them,the N91 to 93 had early problems too and it's not acceptable for expensive phones,another thing I hate in Nokia world apart the 6500s which is in stainless steel is the CHEAP materials and paint they use since 10 years

Phone
    Optimus Black
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileSlider View Post
    Karim...

Have you already seen aftermarket keypads for the Slide? What about battery covers as well?

One more thing....you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Nokia, so I was wondering if Nokia ever resolves issues with handsets, be it software or build, by reading mobile forums, contacting owners of their products, or when a phone comes in for warranty repair.

Would Nokia cover a scratched keypad under warranty, or would it be deemed just normal wear & tear?

I take immaculate care of my phones, especially considering I paid close to $600.00 for the Slide when it first came out, so any scratches really bugs me.
    Perfect said! But..i think I gonna buy this phone after all..it's to beautiful..

Phone
    6500 Slide
    well ive played with it today, awesome phone, awesome looks, but the sliding part of mine is a bit loose in my opinion, if i shake the phone gently you can hear it wobble

Phone
    Network
    AT&T
    To those of you guys that buy this phone, & you have any software issues, or the slider is loose or wobbly, be sure to return it.

I have a Made in Hungary version, & besides some very light scratches on my keypad, the build is extraordinary. The slide is very snug & opens & closes with a firm "snap" each time. The battery cover fits tight, & there are no gaps. The slide doesn't wobble nor is it loose.

My first version was an Asian variant, & I was disappointed. It had software bugs that made my custom ring-tones, SMS tones & themes set back to default for no reason. I would set my themes, ring tone, SMS tone, only to find they had reverted back to default over night. The SIM card reader malfunctioned as well.

But my Euro version is great. It is the nicest phone I have ever owned, or seen for that matter. That is why I say to get a quality handset. You will love it!!

I will always own a 6500 Slide. I am glad Nokia makes their phones for a long time.

Retired Moderator
    like.no.other
    Phone
    iPhone 4, Bold 9780
    vegetaleb 460 is pretty good, you wont find it for less. Make sure you get a Hungary one because the made by Nokia's revert their theme and ringtone to default after couple days

MobileSlider spare parts are not available yet

Nokia will always resolve manufacturing problems for phones under warranty, and will probably replace the entire device if they decide that the scratching problem is unsolvable on your device. It's no wonder the 6500 slide is out of stock everywhere at the moment, the new batches are coming out so I recommend everybody wanting to get one to wait a bit.

Trusted Member
    Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileSlider
    My first version was an Asian variant, & I was disappointed
    MobileSlider, can you confirm (if you still remember) what was your firmware with old one. I have also experienced people having troubles with APAC (Asian) 6500s models, just as you described, however firmware was the same 3.80 which brings me to conclusion that problems were not related only to software but also to hardware issues as well. As I said before 6500 series was out at Asian market few months prior to European.

BR
    Miki

Retired Moderator
    like.no.other
    Phone
    iPhone 4, Bold 9780
    It's not the same firmware since the language is different. But yes, it might be hardware related...

Phone
    Network
    AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
    MobileSlider, can you confirm (if you still remember) what was your firmware with old one. I have also experienced people having troubles with APAC (Asian) 6500s models, just as you described, however firmware was the same 3.80 which brings me to conclusion that problems were not related only to software but also to hardware issues as well. As I said before 6500 series was out at Asian market few months prior to European.

BR
    Miki
    miki69....

Sorry, I don't remember the software version on my APAC variant Slide. Like you said, the Asian versions were out a while before the Euro versions, & it sounds like Nokia rectified the bugs with the Euro release. If you are still experiencing problems, just send it back to Nokia, or maybe a firmware update (when available) will solve the problem.

I hope it gets worked out, cause it sure was annoying to have my custom profile go back to default constantly.

Phone
    Network
    Proximus
    Listen up guys

I have a made in Hungary version and i have sw V3.80 and i still have all the problems mentioned in this thread and then some.

The shop where i bought it will not replace it and i do not want to send it back yet for repair ( they have no new software and i am confident they will not replace the entire device , so honestly what would it be goood for ? )

I M H O nokia made a HUGE mistake in releasing the slide with so many problems in it.

I have my own company and if i would do business like that i would go bankrupt in a week , but those arrogant pricks can get away with anything and we will always take tje bait and buy new products

and in the end i still love my 6500 slide and am waiting for my 6500 classic in bronze to arrive

Phone
    Nokia 6700 classic
    Network
    O2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedeske View Post
    and in the end i still love my 6500 slide and am waiting for my 6500 classic in bronze to arrive
    I had the bronze version in my hands yesterday. It's nice, but doesn't look as good in real life as it does in the photos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast