First time charging a new phone battery
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time charging a new phone battery

First time charging a new phone battery

I've just got a new N95 and I want to charge the battery and start playing with my new toy.

How long should I charge the battery for, and can I turn it on and start using it while it's charging?

I read once somewhere that it was important to charge a new phone battery for at least 12 hours and I presume you shouldn't have it switched on to make sure the battery is as full as it can be.

Also, is it a good idea to run the battery right down before charging it again for the first few cycles?

(I tried to search the forum but I kept getting error messages)

Thanks for any help.

Phone
    Nokia !
    Network
    O2 & Orange
    How long should I charge the battery for, and can I turn it on and start using it while it's charging?
    Yes you can , no need to worry , i've never really followed like to charge for 12-18 hours before playing , just put you sim in & start using .

Capo di tutti capi
    Phone
    iPhone 4, HTC One
    Network
    Telia.SE
    I would go so far as to say that no matter how you treat your battery, it will last as long as you own the phone/ the other components start going AWOL.
    Other than that, go by the manual. The people who wrote the manual built the phone so they ought to know

This how to first charge your battery nonsense is way too overrated and given just too much importance. Just charge is however you like to.

No place like Gnome
    Phone
    LG G2
    Network
    EE
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeX
    Other than that, go by the manual. The people who wrote the manual built the phone so they ought to know
    not a good idea. the manual that shipped with my moto e1070 and samsung e720, despite having li-ion and li-polymer batteries, respectively, claimed that the phone had ni-cad batteries batetries and told me to charge them as such. in other words, the manual was wrong and gave incorrect charging instructions.

Garnett
    read this:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

problematic heaven
    Staff Member of the year 2010
    Network
    T-Mo, Fido
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnett View Post
    I've just got a new N95 and I want to charge the battery and start playing with my new toy.

I read once somewhere that it was important to charge a new phone battery for at least 12 hours and I presume you shouldn't have it switched on to make sure the battery is as full as it can be.

Also, is it a good idea to run the battery right down before charging it again for the first few cycles?

(I tried to search the forum but I kept getting error messages)

Thanks for any help.
    congrats on your new phone.

I think what you should do is to CONDITION your battery...

... now whether you do it immediately or after a few weeks, is up to you. But it's better to do this when the batt is still relatively new.

By conditioning, I mean... charging it until it's full, then using it until its fully discharged, then charging it again. Repeat this cycle ("fully discharged when charging") for 3 to 4 times... after that, you'll notice that your batt lasts longer than usual.

Iv heard of the same thing... but if memory serves, the 12-hour rule-of-thumb of charging applied only to older phones, especially those that came with slow, trickle chargers. Most new chargers nowadays can fully charge a batt in a few hours if not a few minutes.... certainly not half a day.

just my 2 cents.

cheers!

Phone
    iphone 3G 8GB, Tocco
    Network
    doesnt matter with n95 full charge only will last about 8 minutes lol

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn80 View Post
    doesnt matter with n95 full charge only will last about 8 minutes lol
    i think you got a faulty one better take it back.

try conditioning it if it works all well and good and if not much nothing lost, god willing.

Network
    Telenor
    with the latest batteries it isnt matter if u charge ur phone for 18 hours or 3 hours coz when it gets fully charged then the connection gets open internally which disconnects the powersupply from the battery internally. so i guess make ur phone full charged and start playing with it is a better rather than leaving it connected for 18 hours. but i also read somewhere to drain the battery completely before giving the phone its first charge. if u havent did so u lost nothing much just drain ur phone's battery now and charge it completely

Phone
    N97 Mini E75 E71 N95 Luna Zn5
    Network
    AT&T
    Charging recommendations of mobile batteries has changed so much, it's hard to really know for sure.

I can get a full charge on my 6500 Slide in about 2 hrs. I am a firm believer in the "conditioning" effect of cell phone batteries though, as diffenbaker stated.

No place like Gnome
    Phone
    LG G2
    Network
    EE
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileSlider View Post
    I am a firm believer in the "conditioning" effect of cell phone batteries though, as diffenbaker stated.
    that doesn't apply to lithiums. i won't do it much harm to charge it for 24hours, but it won't do it any better either. the charger will just cut out after its charged, so between then and the 24 hours, the phone will just be sitting there like a lemon not benefiting at all.

Imaging expert
    vengeance is an option
    Phone
    N82 Black / Galaxy W
    Network
    Smart
    Still a useful site about batteries especially for beginners...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

+ Reply to Thread