Radio on W880i...regional?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio on W880i...regional?

Phone
    w710i, K750i
    Network
    T-Mobile

Question Radio on W880i...regional?

I confirmed by calling SE in the states and the vender selling the w880i that the w880i has a radio.

Is there any reason eldar's review or almost all other reviews on the internet say the w880i is missing the radio?

Trusted Member
    The Marketing Innov8er

Phone
    One V, GTab 2 10.1, E71
    Network
    du
    may be he meant w850 or he was wrong ,

it doesnt have a radio, man .....where will it be put in this very thin thing ?

Phone
    w710i, K750i
    Network
    T-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by SuccessCre8or View Post
    may be he meant w850 or he was wrong ,

it doesnt have a radio, man .....where will it be put in this very thin thing ?
    Why would a SE customer service rep be wrong when I specifically asked if the w880i was equipped with a FM radio? The SE rep had the w880i in his hands to check and make sure.

This was the same case with this US website selling the w880i. http://www.myworldphone.com/sonyericw880ibo.htm

So I must ask again, is this phone regional with one region lacking the FM radio? It would seem the removal of FM radio would also incorporate hardware rather than software.

Phone
    P1i ,X10, Xperia S
    For sure it doesn't have a radio. It's not regional, even if it was (Which is not) The W880 Isn't even meant for the US market, its tri-band no 850 band.

Phone
    Nokia N8, SE Vivaz (U5i)
    It wouldnt be bad if SE would implemented the same external radio feature that they once used in W900, anyhow nothing can be utter-perfect anyways

Phone
    w710i, K750i
    Network
    T-Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by divooneh23 View Post
    For sure it doesn't have a radio. It's not regional, even if it was (Which is not) The W880 Isn't even meant for the US market, its tri-band no 850 band.

I'm probably going to wait and order the phone after the May8th SE announcement.

Divooneh, are you that sure? Perhaps the USA version is different than other countries.

Phone
    P1i ,X10, Xperia S
    Quote Originally Posted by vapors2k View Post
    I'm probably going to wait and order the phone after the May8th SE announcement.

Divooneh, are you that sure? Perhaps the USA version is different than other countries.
    I'm almost positive, the W880 doesn't have a USA version and will never be released on any US or Canadian carrier, because you get poor or no reception at some locations where the phone doesn't support the frequency. off course you can buy it unlocked, but it's imported from other regions and sold in stores. The W810,W600,W300 and I think the new W660 are quadband and are fully functional in the US.

And I think you should wait a bit before you get it, SE is going to be having some goodies for the US this year according to the miles flint (Se president)

Phone
    w710i, K750i
    Network
    T-Mobile
    I'm almost positive, the W880 doesn't have a USA version and will never be released on any US or Canadian carrier, because you get poor or no reception at some locations where the phone doesn't support the frequency. off course you can buy it unlocked, but it's imported from other regions and sold in stores. The W810,W600,W300 and I think the new W660 are quadband and are fully functional in the US.

And I think you should wait a bit before you get it, SE is going to be having some goodies for the US this year according to the miles flint (Se president)
    What's odd is the w880 is listed on the USA site of SE. I also have a k750i that is a tri-band like the w880 and reception was no problem via Tmobile while the k750i was never listed on the USA site of SE.

I do intend on waiting till may 8th and see what's in store for SE. However, I don't think there will be a phone out as thin and capable as the w880i with SE quality and excellent customer service.

Phone
    P1i ,X10, Xperia S
    yeah thats weired, the m600 is also posted on the US sight. But not on the Canadian site, in which all phones listed are quadband.

Also reception does depend on where you live, but in general, t-mobile and cingular run on the 850 and 1900 band (recently cingular has also started a 3G network), so if you live in a area that doesn't have the 850 band, your phone work, and in some areas you dont get complete coverage, thats why the networks only carry phones supporting both frequencies. I would be really surprised if I see the W880 on cingular, they don't risk their reputation.

lets wait and see whats going on with SE in may.

Phone
    w710i, K750i
    Network
    T-Mobile
    lets wait and see whats going on with SE in may.

I've travelled within california (even in remote places like mammoth lakes) and driven through arkansas, oklahoma, texas, alabama, lousianna, mississippi, florida, colorado, utah, and nevada. The k750i worked fine in all states, including remote towns and ski resorts.

+ Reply to Thread