EF 81 Thread
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EF 81 Thread

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom

EF 81 Thread

Its certainly alot of ef81 users out there, i thaught we could start this thread and discuss different problems and solutions and help eachother out, getting mine in a couple of days. So ill start this thread

Ive heard some people say they have problems with 1gig music, the phone uses 1ominutes to read it!! does everyone have this problem??

Hey there! Probably getting my EF81 tomorrow, so looking forward to it. The thing thats most important to me is the design and quality, if the phone is slow it doesn't bother me that much, cause we are probably just talking about 0.1 sec or something. I watched a video where they used it and it didn't look any slow...but we'll see. I have also heard that the phone uses up to 10 min to read the memory card...if thats true it is one really bad thing with it!

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    HI there, im probably getting mine tomorrow. But ive got good news, several people ive talked to on norwegian forums says that their phones arent slow at all with loads of music files, but if u plan to play fullscreen video ull get problems for shure. Im really looking forward now!!

hehe

flere nordmenn her ser jeg hvor bestilte du din fra? regner med vi begge f?r telefonen i morgen! Har sett at en del er positive og noen er negative, men skal bli spennende ? se med egne ?yne!

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    ja, norsk her! Bestilte fra MPX.no, st?r at den var i oslo i dag kl.08:28.
    Har ogs? lest b?de positive og negative ting, men ser bra ut(jeg skal ikke spille av video:P). Det eneste er at jeg har h?rt at noen eksemplarer er helt buggy, er min en av dem sender jeg den tilbake for ? f? en ny!

hehe, da fikk de solgt 2 stykker p? en dag, ikke verst

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom

Gledelig nyhet

Hei, vet ikke om du visste om dette jeg men er i hvertfall helt nytt for meg! Jeg bestilte i servicepakke og sjekket sporingsiden til posten, da jeg s? den var logget p? mitt lokale postkontor kunne jeg printe ut henteseddelen, istedet for ? vente p? de kjempetrege postarbeiderne her jeg bor!! Vet ikke om dette ang?r deg men syntes dette var s? bra at jeg m?tte dele det.
    Last edited by Blodrumpe; 18-05-2006 at 18:50.

hey takk skal du ha det visste jeg ikke! kanskje jeg f?r den i morgen da. har du henta din?

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    nei....posten var stengt n?r jeg kom opp i p?sregnet men henter den i morra, gleder meg n?! har lest mye positivt i EF-81 tr?den p? www.amobil.no forumet. Men det er mye ? f? klarhet i, tror jeg skal poste no video som bekrefter eller bedre avkrefter tregheter osv.

Phone
    Siemens CX75
    Network
    Omnitel
    hm.. maybe i should start speaking lithuanian here too, huh..?

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    Sorry....well keep it in english from now on, dont think moderators are too happy either. Im getting my EF81 tomorrow, ill post some pros and cons if anyone want to buy this phone.

Phone
    Qtek S200; 8600; 6233; 6310i
    Network
    Proximus
    I just discovered it yesterday and i want one

Another one for the collection

Greetz

hey boy have you gotten yours yet? This fucking norwegian mailservice, it is soooo slow. I have to wait for tomorrow, maybe I'LL GET IT THEN IF i AM LUCKY

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom

Just got it!

Hey! ive just gotten mine! I'm VERY pleased with build quality(but no camera lens protector). yes, it takes some time to enter applications etc. but there is no delay in scrolling around++. All in all there is only one thing that bothers me, it takes about 4-5 seconds to "save image" when u take a pic.

Just ask any questions and ill try to answer!

Phone
    nokia n93
    i dnt have any idea about benq-siemens speakers,,,,,,,,,,
    so how is it

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    For ringtones the speaker is really great, u can hear them very loud and clear. For music it is also very loud and clear (like W900) on full-quality files there are no noises or disruptions when playing on max volume, but if u compress files(like me) u will probably get some. For handsfree talking its even better, u hear them loud and clear. I compress my files to -AAC 96kpbs ABR- and with the BQS headset that came with the phone sound is crystal clear!!

Phone
    nokia n93
    oh..........
    thats good

Phone
    nokia n93
    Blodrumpe,
    tell me about the cam setting, effects ,the photoshops software in the phone if any??
    themes ?

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    When the phone is closed, and u operate from the external screen, u have access to 7x zoom(digital), and luminence (+3 to -3).
    when you open the phone you have shortcuts for the same functions (navigation pad), but you also have acces to a menu, here you can switch to video or set a delay (if u want to take pictures of yourself from a bit of distance). You can also open the gallery, more importantly you can adjsut settings, resolutions-(1600x1200;1280x960;640x480;320x240), u can change standard name of photos, witebalance(auto,indoors,outdoors), you can choose to save on memory card or phone memory, and the last setting is (i dont know the qword in english) but u can choose between 50Hz and 60Hz, in norwegian its called Flimmer. i havent figured out if there is any photo editor but ill post as soon as i find out

Phone
    nokia n93
    thanks <<<<<<<<<<
    but ur the fastes reply i ever got... igust post it befor 15min??????????????

just picked up my phone 1 hour ago, and my first impressions are split.

Good things:

- fantastic mainscreen
    - very good speaker
    - extremly good keypad

Bad things:

- camera is very poor indoors
    - the volume of the speaker when you call someone is pretty low
    - some elements takes time to open
    - and its frustrating to go threw your files, since you have to open one file, close it and open another one, you cant just skip through all of them

But like I said, just got the phone, so I dont know much about it yet, maybe all this will change in a bit

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    Mclaren, if u use mediaplayer u can just skip thru all of them, and if u keep filemanager and mediaplayer(the ones who takes the most time to open)open all the time and switch via the taskmanager button(to the left of the C) u can shorten down delay a little bit

can you use the external buttons when the phone is closed to navigate the mp3 player??

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    Yes...but you will have to pause the song to skip to the next one(same thing when u open the phone)

Hey blodrumpe, you dont have to pause the song to skip to the next one when the phone is open, but you'll have to do so while it is closed.
    But have you tried to transfer mp3 to the phones internal memory? How long does it take to get one song over? Damn, for me it takes like 2 min for a 4 mb song...that's shitty slow

Phone
    Nokia N8, SE Vivaz (U5i)
    Congrats to both of you for being brave for spending money on rather a new mobile manufacturer

by the way, could you also post about EF81's battery performance based on your daily usage?

erm... one dissapoiting thing that i almost guessed before you reveal about, is EF81's camera on poor-quality indoor pictures infact i knew it could have been happening, specially since Siemens was never anything awesome when it would come to the Camera department

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    Mclaren yea its really slow, but if u buy a card reader it goes fast, and when you turn on the phone, enter the filemanager and leave the phone for like 15 minutes, then you got all the songs. u only need to do it at the first startup with memorycard full.

ACErash yea camera is poor indors, but outdoors its amazing!!

The battery is ok, not supergood not poor its normal will post more specific later

Phone
    Qtek S200; 8600; 6233; 6310i
    Network
    Proximus
    I was planning on buying one but the thing that realy ticked me off was : no hot swap

What gives ?

And if u know that the back cover ( which u need to remove if u want to place or remove the MicroSD card ) is simular to the one on the RAZR, i predict u will not enjoy doing this

did u guys get a sd card with the phone or did you have to buy it afterwards?

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    no, there is no card in the box, but microsd is cheap, where i live 1GB is only 65$ (USD)

Phone
    N71 + K610i
    Network
    DiGi + Maxis
    so how long the battery can last in normal usage? 1/2/3 days?
    eh bro, can you customize the sms-ringtone? i mean can you use some mp3 as the sms ringtone? this small issue is quite important for me
    Last edited by jeg_elsker; 17-06-2006 at 19:57. Reason: more question :D

Phone
    BenQ-Siemens EF81
    Network
    NetCom
    It depends on usage, if u have bluetooth on the battery is drained extremely fast. But for me it normally lasts 2 days +/- and i send some sms, call a couple of minutes and use the camera a bit. but u can put it in offline mode, to save battery if u want to use it as mp3 etc.

Yes you can personalise sms tones on the phone. (i use CTU from 24 ringtone as sms tone )

pros and cons EF81

I found the two displays great, great quality. the phone is not slow at all, at least thats my impression.
    I dropped my EF81 accidentialy yesterday and i can tell you, it is robust.
    It fell from about 2 meters on the pavement, everything working... puh.
    I didnt like that there is no infrared port!!!
    I must say the battery lasts longer than expected..
    all in all quite propper mobile

EF81 Full Review

Now that I got the mobile for some time I can give you a detailed Review:

Design:
    The design of the BenQ-Siemens EF81 was the first thing i recognized. It was very important for me to have mobile without rubber or plastic, because I had negative experience with that.
    It was not that important for me to have a brand mobile, but the design convinced me. It had to be slim and light so that I can carry it around comfortably even in bermudas, plus it had to be suitable for business matters.

Material:
    Because of the different kinds of metal (stainless steel, magnesium) the EF81 is very robust, even the keypad on the backside is made of steel.I have to clean it from time to time because stains are easily visible,but this makes the phone even more classy.

Machining:
    The workmanship is really what you would expect from a Siemens phone carrying the label Made in Germany, very solidly crafted.The hinge is robust too and very durable indeed.

Functions:
    I havent missed a function yet, the adress register has extensive options
    (Outlook alike) but I had to search for the Birthday function. An Onlineforum knew what to do, I had to klick all the way to the bottom and there I could link every person in the list to theit Birthday.
    The instruction manual wasnt helpful in this case but apart from that qite good. The use of media player and camera is easy but i havent tried the video telephony.
    Display:

BenQ provides the EF81 with very sharp digital readouts and a high resolution display- It is fun looking at it!

Camera:
    Of course the camera works best in good lighting conditions. 2 Megapixels are quite propper, the quality of printed photos is O.K.
    The Ef81 camera rotates, wich I like very much because the handling with the outer keys is unhandy.

Battery durability:
    I was positively surprised that the battery lasted quite long- especialy for a siemens mobile. Its helpfull putting the UMTS function off if you dont use it and you want to save energy.

Connectivity:
    Up and downloads on the pc and from the pc were no problem.midi mp3 and pictures are quickly loaded. The synchronisation with Outlook makes it easy to update the adresses.

Siemens:
    After some time with siemens mobiles, I had a motorola last time. I realy must say that motorola made a step back with the V3x. I think the Siemens-BenQ marriage has lovely children.

specials:
    If you purchase early ( like I did) BenQ-Siemens provides a free personal gravure of the phone on their webpage, i am looking forward to that.

Recommendation:
    I would recommend the EF81, now that UMTS starts off i wouldnt purchase a GSM cell anymore, and the EF81 is a very good looking one. For Anyone who sets high value on a well crafted product with design and good businessfunctions, it is the right choice even I you dont use UMTS

Phone
    Benq EL71
    Hey have just been reading through the posts about the EF81 - I ordered one last week, and so hopefully it should be waiting for me when i get homw from work today!!! im really excited. I noticed that there have been mixed feelings about this phone - I had read a load of reviews online before buying it, and it seemed to have more good reviews than bad ones. At the mo, i have the EL71, which i really like - the battery is just VERY bad....and i am on my 3rd battery! by the looksof things, the EF81 battery is a lot better!

I just wondered if anyone could tell me what the picture quality is liek on the outside screen when taking a photo? is it hard to see what you're photographing?

Thanks

Eseries Fan
    Phone
    Note II & Nokia N8
    Network
    LTE

Wink

Blackviolet, if battery is the only thing that irritates you in el71, you'll be disappointed in ef81 - for me, sgold2 (using c81/e71) is much better for user (and patcher ) than quallcom's one on sxg75/ef81 (you can only change def grafics there) + cpu speed on ef81 is decreased... it's 180 mhz though cold be > than 220

Retired Moderator
    nineteen
    Phone
    Lumia 925, Nexus 7, Lumia 800
    Network
    Three
    Blackviolet
    The external display is fine as a viewfinder, in my opinion. Early digital cameras used to have smaller displays than that.

You must've received your phone by now, so it may be a little late for me to be saying this, but the EF81 is, quite frankly, the most frustrating phone I have ever owned. Painfully slow, embarrasingly unstable and pitiful media player and organiser functions (and my phone runs the latest and last official firmware). The laughable "metal" casing, most of which turns out to be poorly coated plastic, is the final nail in the coffin, and one that presents itself after just several months of use as other EF81 owners will testify.

I can honestly say this is not how I imagined my affection for the Siemens brand would end.

Hi Ghibli,

Sad to hear that your EF81 experience is not what you expected. Yes, EF81 is pretty unstable even with the latest firmware. EF81 got dead network signal when underground train even when automatic network is switch on. The phone can't toggle between GSM and UMTS. The phone switches off by itself at times (helping you to save battery).

BTW, I have left BenQ-Siemens behind just like BenQ abandoned the german mobile arm.

+ Reply to Thread