What exactly does sim free mean?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What exactly does sim free mean?

Phone
    Samsung V200, Sam E720
    Network
    T Mobile

What exactly does sim free mean?

I have an E720 with T mobile but never want one of their phones again as their branding is ridiculous, if you have your sound on, every time you send a text it plays a stupid tune, hence I have only ever had my phone on vibrate for the last year! Yes Im serious.

I have been looking at the E770 as my contract will be up soon.

Does a sim free phone mean it can work with any network, with no silly branding? Or does it mean you dont have a sim card, in which case I dont get how it works at all.

A phone free from network branding would be a delight.

Yes I have done a search on this site but cant find anything about sim free that explains enough.

Bit of advice would be great.

Phone
    HTC Desire
    Network
    Cytamobile-Vodafone
    Does a sim free phone mean it can work with any network, with no silly branding?
    Yes

Or does it mean you dont have a sim card
    Yes

Sim-free means you are just buying the phone in its original package and firmware version for your country/region.

You are supposed to use an existing sim-card with your phone. You can either switch to payg or renew your contract and maybe negotiate to get cashback for not upgrading your phone with them as a compromise for staying with them.

You can always switch to O2 whose branding only goes as far as the startup and switch off animation or Vodafone whose non-VodafoneLive phones are completely unbranded afaik.

Phone
    Samsung V200, Sam E720
    Network
    T Mobile

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crasher
    Does a sim free phone mean it can work with any network, with no silly branding?
    Yes

Or does it mean you dont have a sim card
    Yes

Sim-free means you are just buying the phone in its original package and firmware version for your country/region.

You are supposed to use an existing sim-card with your phone. You can either switch to payg or renew your contract and maybe negotiate to get cashback for not upgrading your phone with them as a compromise for staying with them.

You can always switch to O2 whose branding only goes as far as the startup and switch off animation or Vodafone whose non-VodafoneLive phones are completely unbranded afaik.

Thank you,that helps, think I will go for a sim free unbranded phone, come off contract and look for a good PAYG offer.

also if you have a sim free phone you can use a ghost sim

Phone
    Samsung V200, Sam E720
    Network
    T Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by daemon147
    also if you have a sim free phone you can use a ghost sim

Hey whats a ghost sim??

Exclamation ghost sim

Quote Originally Posted by Siren
    Hey whats a ghost sim??
    a ghost sim lets you put two sim cards in your phone so you can switch between two opperators like o2 and vodaphone so if if you need to phone o2 use that one and the same for vodaphone a ghost sim allows you to keep two sim cards in one phone just turn the phone on and off to switch card

Phone
    N91 and 6270
    Sim-free phones = OPEN-LINE phones that are not locked to a telecom operator, and you can use every kind of sim you like.

Yeh I use my Sim free ( Unlocked ) handset for when travelling abroad from UK to Durban in South africa. In the UK I'm on vodafone or 02 pay & go and when I get to Durban slip in the SA MNet or vodacom Sim card and of you go on the local net rates and talk to all the family etc etc reverse on return trips.

Phone
    Samsung V200, Sam E720
    Network
    T Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by daemon147

a ghost sim lets you put two sim cards in your phone so you can switch between two opperators like o2 and vodaphone so if if you need to phone o2 use that one and the same for vodaphone a ghost sim allows you to keep two sim cards in one phone just turn the phone on and off to switch card

OK, do you have two separate numbers on two different sim cards. or is it the same phone number? do both the cards go in the back of any phone? obv I know you can have a couple of different sims with different numbers but cant see how they work in the phone at the same time, my current phone an E720 only has room for one sim card! I'm not too technical but am interested to know how this works, esp as i have chats with mates i'd rather my now getting older kids cant find and read by picking up my phone ha.

Explain as if you were talking to a child, I may get it ha. thanks.

Phone
    D500
    You need to buy an adapter (loads on ebay and from web phone shops). A dummy SIM goes in the slot, and accesses the 2 real SIMS (one at a time).
    From what I can gather (having looked into it in the past, but without having tried one) there are 2 types - ones that have a ribbon cable to an adapter that holds the 2 SIMS (this may be a very tight squeeze, depending on the construction of your phone), or ones that require you to cut up your SIMs even smaller to then fit into a SIM-sized adapter (obviously a much more risky approach).

As far as hiding stuff goes, that would only be apparent if what you want to hide is stored on the SIM rather than on the phone.

HTH

Reg

Phone
    Samsung V200, Sam E720
    Network
    T Mobile
    [QUOTE=reg.t]You need to buy an adapter (loads on ebay and from web phone shops). A dummy SIM goes in the slot, and accesses the 2 real SIMS (one at a time).
    From what I can gather (having looked into it in the past, but without having tried one) there are 2 types - ones that have a ribbon cable to an adapter that holds the 2 SIMS (this may be a very tight squeeze, depending on the construction of your phone), or ones that require you to cut up your SIMs even smaller to then fit into a SIM-sized adapter (obviously a much more risky approach).

As far as hiding stuff goes, that would only be apparent if what you want to hide is stored on the SIM rather than on the phone.

HTH

SOunds complicated, i'm not that bothered really, I dont store anything on the phone, its all deleted. Was curious to see how easy it was to do, i know a couple of people who actually have two phones on the go so was wondering if it was easier to have one phone with two sims! I was reading another thread headed Police, someone was wondering about wot can be found or recovered from phones! Lots of people have secrets, or at least secret conversations, especially these days with everyone having a phone!! Mad world. Is all this technology really a good thing, how did we all communicate with just a land line ha!

CAN WE USE A VODAFONE PAYG SIM CARD IN A SIM FREE PHONE?

Senior Administrator
    first amongst equals
    Phone
    changes daily
    Network
    all networks
    Quote Originally Posted by sim free View Post
    CAN WE USE A VODAFONE PAYG SIM CARD IN A SIM FREE PHONE?
    Yes!! .......

Quote Originally Posted by mweb6161 View Post
    Yes!! .......
    thanx for the info

Senior Administrator
    first amongst equals
    Phone
    changes daily
    Network
    all networks
    Thats correct again!!

+ Reply to Thread