P2kman is like Windows Explorer as used on a Windows operating system. P2kman is used for the following:
There are 2 main versions of p2kman:
- Allowing the user to modify certain values in the seems and files that control various settings on the user's phone. An example of this is setting bit 1 in offset 3D in seem 0032_0001 to enable/disable SMS delivery reports.
- Adding and deleting files.
- Altering the attributes of files. See the section on Deleting Locked Wallpapers, Screensavers, Ringtones, & Videos for an explanation of attributes.
Old version (build 26.02.2004). (You can find out the build version by clicking on the About button)
This version assumes that PST has been installed beforehand. This is because they both utilise the same drivers. Those shared drivers, together with P2kMan, often being located in the same directory called p2kman_pst, and within the directory where PST is installed.
I noticed that if i tried to run p2kman without PST being installed beforehand, it just brought up a small dialogue box saying: Failed to find P2K device.
New version (build 27.07.2004) . (You can find out the build version by clicking on the About button)
This is the standalone version of p2kman that utilises its own drivers. These are often called p2kman and P2K_driver_2.3 respectively. This version of p2kman is used for this guide and for the tutorial in the section on Seem Editing. I recommend this version more than the old version.
This refers to the installation of the standalone version of P2kMan(build 27.07.2004).
If PST has already been installed successfully, then P2kMan should be ready to run.
1) P2kMan is often downloaded as a .zip file, so unzip the contents and ensure that its in its own directory. Also, ensure no other mobile phone software is open.
Stage 2 - Install USB Driver
If MPT has already been installed successfully or you already have a USB driver installed, this stage can be skipped, and you can go to Stage 3.
2) Plug in your USB cable into your phone.
3) 30-60 seconds later, a Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard should now appear for the installation of the USB driver. The first driver to be installed is always the Motorola USB Modem.
4) Click Install from a list or specified location(Advanced)
5) Click Next button.
6) Then select Search for the best driver in this location.
7) Tick Include this location in the search .
8) Click on the Browse button to specify the directory where Windows is to locate the driver - make sure that you point it to the drv directory within where P2kMan is located.
9) Click the Next button, and wait for the driver to install.
10) After the installation of the driver, a Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard dialogue box should now appear. Click the Finish button.
Stage 3 - Install the 7 Devices
11) The next thing we need to do is to install the following devices:
Communications Class - Communications Interface
Communications Class - Data Interface
USB Audio Device (installed automatically without any prompting. Doesn't utlilise the p2k.sys driver).
Data Logging DSP Interface
Data Logging MCU Interface
Test Command Interface
To do this, we need to break the connection and 'encourage' Windows to install them. This is done by Unplugging the USB cable from your phone, plugging it back in(you will see your LCD light up now because a USB driver has been installed), and running P2kMan.
12) Click Install from a list or specified location(Advanced)
13) Click Next button.
14) Again there are the option as first encountered in Step 6. Windows will remember your options from installing the USB driver, so you can just click Next button.
If, for each driver installation, a Files Needed dialogue box appears with the following text:
The file P2k.sys on P2K installation directory is needed. , then click on the Browse button to point it to the drv directory where P2kMan is located. Point it to the P2k.sys file, press the Open button. Click OK on the Files Needed dialogue box.
Do this for each of the devices.
15) Occassionally, not all the driver names are installed. I don't know why that is, but i assume that all 7 devices are required, even though 6 of them(all except the USB Audio Device) all point to the same driver (ie p2k.sys). If some of them are left out, go to Device Manager -> Other devices. Expand that, and for each device that has a yellow question mark with a yellow exclamation mark, highlight -> right click -> Update Driver.
16) When all 7 devices have been installed, P2kMan should now be ready to use.
It doesn't seem to work with p2kman.
Phones with transflash card
i) You may have to remove your transflash to be able to use p2kman. Bezol's P2KTools doesn't require you to remove transflash.
ii) In your phone's menu, go to Main menu -> Settings -> Connection -> USB Settings. Change Default Connection to Data/Fax Connection.