+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I will teach you how to connect phone to computer via USB

Member Novice
    Phone
    LG U8120 and Nokia 2100
    Network
    3 and Optus

How to connect phone to computer via USB Port and transfer files

OK. I made this post seperate from other posts since they were messy and because this will have a lot more explaination than the instructions manual for installing the drivers which comes with the CD.

This is for Windows XP Pro only since this is the OS I'm using and even if I can explain the other ones, it won't be as detailed so if you use other OS systems other than Windows XP, you'll have to refer to the manual on the CD. Also, I did this using LG U8120. I'm sure the some other phones will work in a similar way but if this does not help, again, please refer to the manual on the CD.

Step 1.
    Put in CD.

Step 2.
    The CD will automatically run. If not, go to My Computer, open up the CD and run LGInstaller.exe.

Step 3.
    Click on Install Phone Manager.

Step 4.
    Once Phone Manager is installed (Media Player is also installed simultaneously), you may install PC Sync if you want but I find that useless. At least for me. Otherwise, connect the data cable to your phone and then to your computer USB port. I should be USB and not the other kind which uses pins. If so, you should consult with 3 and ask for help on that since the manual does not provide info on that nor do I have any knowledge on how to use that (Sorry cheekeeAngel and any others).

Step 5.
    Once your phone and computer are connected to each other, intallation screens should appear. There are 5 installations that you need to do (At least I had 5).

The first is this.

Make sure the Install the software automatically (Recommended) is checked and then press OK. Windows XP will display a warning.

Click on Continue Anyway. This is what I call the 'Golden Rule' because of how lousy Windows XP really can be.
    Once the installation is finished, wait a bit and the next one will pop up.

The warning will pop up for all of the 5 installations so follow the 'Golden Rule' and it will be fine.

Step 6.
    Once you have installed the 5 drivers, you may run Phone Manager.

Step 7.
    Select Contents and the exploring windows will appear. The reason why you select Contents before you connect is because the screens will load quicker than if you were to connect first then go into Contents.

Step 8.
    Select Transfer from the top menu bar and then select Set COM Port....

Step 9.
    For the COM Port:, select the COMX with the * next to it (X being a number from 3 to 256). For example, for me, it's COM5 *. Usually, the Phone Manager will automatically do it already. Make sure USB is check. By default, Phone Manager will also have that checked automatically. Click on OK.

You have to do this when you run Phone Manager the first time to set the COM Port. After that, you won't have to do this anymore given that the next time you connect is with the same phone.

[SIDE NOTE]
    If you connect a new phone to the computer, you'll have to reinstall the 5 drivers again for this new phone. Also, when you use Phone Manager, you'll have to set the COM Port again but this time, it's for this phone. That means, when you switch back to the other phone, you'll have to set the COM Port again for that phone.

Step 10.
    Once the COM Port is set, go back to Transfer and this time, select Connect.

Step 11.
    The screen will show the connecting message.

Step 12.
    In the middle exploring column, expand the LG Phone folder and reveal three folders, Audios, Images, Videos. Then you can expand the folders of wherever your items are. For example, mine is in WhiteDeath's Documents > Mobile > Audio.

Step 13.
    For this example, I shall explain how to transfer audio files onto the phone. To transfer images or videos, it's the exact concept but you put it into the other folders.

Highlight the files you want to copy and drag them into the Audios folder in the LG Phone folder. Let it send over and you're done. Similarly, you can highlight what you want > Right-Click > Copy, go to the folder and Paste.

You can do the reverse way (Copying files from phone to computer) by doing the exact same thing but of course, you copy the things on the phone, then paste them onto your computer or drag them onto your computer.

Well, I hope this has helped and been explained better. With luck, everything should work perfectly.

genuspython, dudettekirst and lil waz, I don't know what's wrong with yours but it should have worked fine. Try re-installing Phone Manager and the drivers again.

My Computer > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Uninstall Phone Manager.

My Computer > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Ports (COM and LPT) > Uninstall all the ports except for main ports such as Printer ports (You'll know by the word printer in it) or such.

Then try following the instructions again. Hopefully, it will work properly now.
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 10-05-2005 at 15:25. Reason: Fixing up instructions

Phone
    LG U8120

Unhappy THINK I MUST HAVE MISSED SOMETHING

hi thanks for your really clear instructions.

I have this all working on my phone. when i tried to connect my friends new lgu8120 to her laptop which runs on Xp, we appeared to have done everything right.

We installed the drivers first, and browsed through D/: as an earlier thread suggests. We then installed phone manager first, then pc sync. the phone connects through com 6 which was *d and phone displays "connected".

However,....... when we opened the lg phone icon on the contents on the left hand side, the 3 folders named audio, images and videos are NOT THERE!!

Someone advised to create these on the desktop, but this didnt work either.

When you say look in the column folder what do you mean?????????
    Can you explain what to do from selecting the com port and connecting the phone, to displaying the contents of the phone on the pc.
    Sure we have missed something really silly but dont know what. Feel bad cos i couldnt do it for my friend, but mine works fine, but i am on windows 98, and intially found this really hard to do, but is fine now.
    On my pc, we have 3 lgs in our house, so have only ever intalled one. the first one we installed loads all the phtos etc, but mine wont upload my photos. do you know why???

Please reply cheers!

Member Novice
    Phone
    LG U8120 and Nokia 2100
    Network
    3 and Optus
    When you first open LG Phone Manager, you see on the left column

Contents

Click on Contents

Two other columns should appear.

One next to where the left column is (in otherwords, the middle one) and one big one on the right.

The one in the middle is the folder column (if you look at the top of it, it says Folder).

You see all your drives and such and a picture of a phone. If you expand that, the 3 folders are in there. First, you must connect to see them.

I forogot to mention that if you use Windows 98 and such, you need to manually install the drivers through Device Manager or something.

Anyways, to connect, at the top bar where it has all the menus,

File - Edit - View - Transfer - Tool - Options - Help (If you don't click on Content, it only shows File - View - Help, I think. Well, it doesn't show what you need.).

Click on Transfer, Set COM Port and select the Port number with the * next to it. For example, COM5* which is what my phone uses.

The connection method as USB.

Now you can connect.

Transfer > Connect

or the button under File, or Alt + C.

Now you can expand the picture of the phone I explained earlier.

You should see the 3 folders now.

Again, to get the things there, if you've used Windows Explorer before which is when you explore through folders, well, anyways, just find where your things are, copy them, then go into one of the LG phone folders and paste it in.

Every time you put in a new phone, you have to reinstall all the drivers for that phone.

Now, when you use Phone Manager, if you keep using the same phone over and over, you don't have to go Transfer > Set COM Port the next time. You can just instantly connect.

If you are to use a new phone, as said above, you need to reinstall seperate drivers for that phone and when you use Phone Manager, YOU MUST go to Transfer and set the COM Port again which is probably different this time. When you go back to your phone, you have to set it again.

So in otherwords, if you've set it, you can just connect, if it's a new phone, you have to set it, if you continue to use that one, you can just connect. Whenever you plug in a new phone, you have to set the Port again. If it's one which hasn't had it's drivers install yet, you have to install them again. But when you plug in the first phone you use, you won't need to install the drivers for that phone again because they are already installed.

Member Novice
    Phone
    LG U8120 and Nokia 2100
    Network
    3 and Optus
    When connecting to GThing, there is something you should know.

GThing 1.2 needs to have seperate installations for the different phone. Meaning, before you can download it, you have to input your IMEI into the phone then it downloads it. Once installed, only that phone will work on it so if you have multiple phones, you'll need to do multiple downloads.

GThing 1.1 which works well for LG U8120 doesn't need this. But it isn't as stable. Like if you delete something, it could freeze a little or something. Basically, something bad happens but not damage done. You still get the job done.

To find your phones IMEI, type in

*#06#

and quickly write down the IMEI. It will disappear after a while but you can always bring it back up.

Now, to connect to GThing, the Port number whicn you select is 2 lower than what you use in Phone Manager.

For example, I use COM5 to connect from computer to phone so in GThing, I'll be using COM3.

Just for a side note. To do a factory reset, it's

277634#*#

Could you add this as PIC

genuspython

Dear bitsnpieces or anyone

I have followed your kind instructions however when I go to select a COM port number, number 1 & 2 are missing and the remainder COM3 to 256 do not have a * next to it so how do I pick one... I run XP. help please. Max
    Last edited by genuspython; 14-03-2005 at 20:20.

Exclamation

hey i have the same problem as "genuspython"

the instructions worked perfectly up until there...

but i DONT have window XP i have windows 2000 millenium edition or something but the XP instructions worked fine for mine until the COM part

1 and 2 are missing and there isnt a COM with a * after it

well is somebody going to answer dudewttwkirst and genuspythons question as i have the same problem as genuspython

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

OK i read through all these threads... it seems so easy but its not...
    Now what i dont undastand is a usb port and a com port..... it says u need to install the usb drivers...
    the thing is as i have the LG U8110 fone the cable is the serial cable (the pins) & its not a usb... i attach it to the computer, turn it on & the "Found New Hardware" does not come up... I would do it manually but i do not not how....

Does dis mean theres sumfink wrong in device manager... cuz in device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controller" i have a question mark there... ive uninstalled it & the pc found it but couldnt find the software.......Ive got 4 USB Root Hub & 4 USB Universal Host Controller.... i dnt undastand why theres anoda USB Universal Host Controller.

Also do u have to install the USB Drivers first? or do u just instal LG phone manager wifout da drivers????

pleaze help me, i really want to connect my phone to da comp.... I wuld appreciate it if sum1 vewi nice nice wuld help cheekee.......

And im sowwi if it sounds all too much... i dnt fink ani1 wuld undastand it...
    oh wellss,,, if ani1 can help...pleaze reply asap....
    Fanks ......
    ChE3kee^AnGeL

Member Novice
    Phone
    LG U8120 and Nokia 2100
    Network
    3 and Optus
    Hm..... This is strange. It should have worked fine. I'll update this page soon with pictures then but for the problems for

genuspython, dudettekirst and lil waz, it should have worked. My COM 1 and 2 are also missing. This is problem because COM 1 and 2 will be used GThing and such so COM 3 would be the smallest port.

For cheekeeAngel, I'll have to check with your problem.

Anyways, sorry about not replying for a long time and amazing, nobody else replied to help. Wonder if it's just me........

Member Novice
    Phone
    LG U8120 and Nokia 2100
    Network
    3 and Optus
    OK. Updated and fixed. I hope it works out better now. Sorry that I couldn't help you cheekeeAngel.

genuspython, dudettekirst and lil waz, try again. Hopefully it'll work out this time. (Instructions for you guys at the bottom of the first post).

Member Novice
    Phone
    LG U8120 and Nokia 2100
    Network
    3 and Optus
    You can download the phone drivers here cheekeeAngel

Assuming that you have an LG U8120 but if not, you can change it to a different phone to downloads it drivers

Phone
    LGU8120
    Network
    Telstra
    meep-new to this place, but i got a LGU8120 just yesterday, and have managed to figure MOST things out. only problem is, I wanna put photo's ive taken onto the computer...but will it be nice and simple for simple-minded gen? noo...im having the same problem as genuspython, dudettekirst and lil waz. i tried un/re-installing the Phone Manager, and no such luck! and other suggestions? and what IS a comport thingy neways? soz-im completely new with this phone tech-ive been living with a simple Nokia 2100 most of my life! hehe. does it matter if im not with 3? im using a telstra SIM card, cause i got the thing unlocked. oh, and lastly, whats the irDa option instead of the USB? how do you know when to use that?

thanx for any help! hoping this thread's still active

Phone
    LGU8120
    Network
    Telstra
    hmm. was looking thru, and this is the message that appears when i attempt to connect:

Fail to connect to the mobile phone,
    Please check the COM port and connect in idle screen.
    also, if u go to USBDriver--> Help -->English-->USBHelp folder in the LG installation folder, i looked at the instruction pictures for the first option (windows 2000 USB) and my computer didnt come up with FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD! perhaps that another reason it didnt work? i havent installed all the drivers? if its that, how do i get that Wizard to appear?

+ Reply to Thread