+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nokia Phones/Tablets Strategy

Mobile Review team
    Phone
    PIXON12, N97, N900, N920
    Network
    All of them :)

Nokia Phones/Tablets Strategy

Nokia finalized own strategy for 2012-2013. A short outlook what we will see in near future

Low end devices S30/S40 Lite/S40 - 100 Euro or around (some devices up to 200 Euro)

Mid tier S60 5th edition 100-250 Euro - mass market

Mid to high - Symbian^3 -5-7 device to come in 2012

maemo6 - dead horse - 92000 units - last device for fans. No future developments.

High tier - WP7 devices.

Tablets - one tablet for 2012 (they will postponed it to 2013 as i think) - most tablets will go with Win8 2012

Goals

21 per cent of smartphone market share worldwide in 2011 (too optimistic i think)
    27 per cent of whole market share (the same idea)

Shortly - it means that Nokia clearly understand that in short tem they will losse market share in phones and smarts as well.

Hope this tibids will be usefull.

problematic heaven
    Staff Member of the year 2010
    Network
    T-Mo, Fido
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarMurtazin View Post
    Nokia finalized own strategy for 2012-2013. A short outlook what we will see in near future
    thanks for the tips Eldar...

Low end devices S30/S40 Lite/S40 - 100 Euro or around (some devices up to 200 Euro)

I think those are expected... since they did mention that they'll do symbian for the next year or two.
    But apart from the low-ends... I dont think the others will sell as much or be as successful as the phones before.
    Depending on what Accenture will do with it... symbian is having a slow and painful death.
    The N8 will become a 'collectible' item.

maemo6 - dead horse - 92000 units - last device for fans. No future developments.
    disappointing news...

High tier - WP7 devices.

Tablets - one tablet for 2012 (they will postponed it to 2013 as i think) - most tablets will go with Win8 2012
    wrong move, imo...
    the tablet market is just taking off nowadays... if there was a time to do one, it should be now. Going with a new and untried OS with untried hardware might not be good.
    its 'nokia being late' all over again.

Goals

21 per cent of smartphone market share worldwide in 2011 (too optimistic i think)

Shortly - it means that Nokia clearly understand that in short tem they will losse market share in phones and smarts as well.
    we are starting to see signs of this right now... of nokia loosing marketshare.
    sad really... to think that several years ago, they held more than 50 percent of the world market.

cheers!
    ...function can't coffee without in the morning. =)

High tier - WP7 devices.

Goals

Hope this tibids will be usefull.
    what about s40 touch n type what is its future.... (getting multitasking or not)
    n what the hell S60 5th edition doing in 2012

@EldarMurtazin what if WP7 fails then does Nokia have any backup strategy and will then Nokia use Maemo6 it major platform...

Mobile Review team
    Phone
    PIXON12, N97, N900, N920
    Network
    All of them :)
    Backup strategy: return Ansi as CEO - 2013; adopted Android as second platform;

It happens if MS not buy mobile phone division in 2 years

problematic heaven
    Staff Member of the year 2010
    Network
    T-Mo, Fido
    I was just about to ask that... seeing the news on another page..
    so Elop is only a "temporary" CEO then?

not to keen on returning Ansi... I wish they'd look for someone else.

so MS does have plans on overtaking nokia's phone division? Some of the rumors about that is true after all.

cheers!
    ...function can't coffee without in the morning. =)

Phone
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
    Network
    Three
    Why do they continue with S60 5th Edition, that's ridiculous, unless it's because the hardware in these cheap devices can't run Symbian^3 properly.

S60 5th Edition is a disaster, and with cheap Android devices getting cheaper and cheaper, those market share goals do in fact look very optimistic.

Nothing is true, all is permitted Kopte3's Avatar
    Phone
    Omnia 7
    Network
    Vip mobile
    Thanks for your post Eldar. What's your opinion? Will the whole WP strategy work?

So @eldar , what do you say , should i keep my job or look outside Nokia ? lol

Trusted Member
    Member of the year 2010

Phone
    Lumia 800, iPad 2, N9 64GB, Iphone 4, Galaxy S, N900
    Ansi? Anssi? We are talking about Vanjoki?

Vanjoki has already said that he wont come back to Nokia...
    That 5th edition thing sounds weird. We haven't seen pretty much no 5th edition devices so why release devices using it now?

Why would MS buy Nokia's mobile phone division? As I see it, most of the software work is done by MS anyway and they already got Nokia to adopt WP as their main platform. I'd think Navteq if anything would be more realistic choice, but that's just me.

PS. Unless you are making things up, how the hell do you get this high-class information. Rest of the old line up is pretty much gone so it must be Ollila then who's your mole?

Phone
    Iphone 5 black
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Aleks View Post
    Why do they continue with S60 5th Edition, that's ridiculous, unless it's because the hardware in these cheap devices can't run Symbian^3 properly.

S60 5th Edition is a disaster, and with cheap Android devices getting cheaper and cheaper, those market share goals do in fact look very optimistic.
    That's what i was thinking as well.
    These figures from Nokia is far to optimistic imo.
    They'd be lucky to reach 15% with these solutions based on what Eldar have said.
    It's pretty much a dead company, when they:
    End Symbian
    End Maemo/Meego.
    Still uses S60 v5.
    WTF are they thinking, i mean, this is what people with 7 digits salaries are capable of seeing as the future of Nokia, this is theyr plan?!?

In the end, i'm sure Microsoft will buy them alltogether.
    Pretty funny when you think of what Nokia have done all these years, bought them self resources from smaller companies, Trolltech, GPS, and so on and so on.
    Now theyr going to be eaten by another big one themselves, just a matter how low those shares will drop until it's gone.

Btw... thought you should know but Ollila had always said that he had stepped down in 2012 so it is definitely not the new management which is the reason.

Trusted Member
    The world is one click away
    Network
    T-MO
    Quote Originally Posted by difenbaker View Post
    I think those are expected... since they did mention that they'll do symbian for the next year or two.
    But apart from the low-ends... I dont think the others will sell as much or be as successful as the phones before.
    Depending on what Accenture will do with it... symbian is having a slow and painful death.
    The N8 will become a 'collectible' item.
    The N8 is already IS a collectible item. Especially the new pink one.

I agree, I think Nokia's low-end phones will still sell a lot, they have always been strong on that market - I think they're not going to loose that anytime soon.

Their mid to high-end phones are the ones that's doubtful. Why make more s60v5 phones?? I think that that's a stupid move. They should just channel their resources to whatever's left of S^3.

wrong move, imo...
    the tablet market is just taking off nowadays... if there was a time to do one, it should be now. Going with a new and untried OS with untried hardware might not be good.
    You would think that they have already learned their lesson with the underwhelming sales of their "nokia booklet" netbook - now they're going to enter the tablet market late again??

sad really... to think that several years ago, they held more than 50 percent of the world market.
    +1
    It was one bad decision after another.

Licensed to Flaunt
    Phone
    Nokia N9 <3
    "N950" 92000 units, well I don't think so.

What comes to S60 phones I don't think there will be any new models coming any more not even 5th edition.

Why stop at just the phone division? If Microsoft has the money - why not just buy the whole of Nokia? Including their share at the Nokia-Siemens network.

If the phone division is taken over - that'll be the end of Nokia as we know it, so why stop there - MS should be a whale and just "swallow" the whole thing.

Phone
    N900, 5530
    I see no reason for MS to "take over" Nokia Mobile Phone division, since that would mean the low end phones as well... Smartphones, OTOH, but I doubt they'll ever get the company that divvied up. Not seeing Anssi coming back either "just like that".

Wild claims, wild claims.

Intellect & romance over brute force & cynicism Dr Tran's Avatar
    Phone
    Nokia 808 Pureview
    Network
    AT&T
    Anybody else think Eldar meant S60v3 and not v5?

Quote Originally Posted by difenbaker View Post
    wrong move, imo...
    I don't know. It seems like Nokia will be first to be market with a tablet running the Arm version of Windows 8. Pairing it with a Nokia built Windows Phone 7 device could be a good combo.

+ Reply to Thread